Though our brother is upon the rack, as long as we ourselves are at ease, our senses will never inform us of what he suffers... - Adam Smith Quotes
Quote:Though our brother is upon the rack, as long as we ourselves are at ease, our senses will never inform us of what he suffers. They never did and never can carry us beyond our own persons, and it is by the imagination only that we form any conception of what are his sensations...His agonies, when they are thus brought home to ourselves, when we have this adopted and made them our own, begin at last to affect us, and we then tremble and shudder at the thought of what he feels. - Adam Smith Quotes

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  I can see [talent or curiosity for acting] in my oldest daughter [Julia Marie Pacino]. I don't know how long she'll run away from it, but it's there in her. - Al Pacino Quotes soni 0 2 32 minutes ago
Last Post: soni
  I've had very deep relationships that lasted for long periods of time with people - you could almost call them marriages, even though I didn't marry. But it was costly. - Al Pacino Quotes soni 0 5 Yesterday, 09:40 AM
  As long as I can concentrate and remain somewhat calm, I can normally do very well. - Al Oerter Quotes soni 0 4 08-22-2017, 07:46 PM
  The struggle goes on. The victory is in the struggle, for me. And I accepted that a long time ago. - Al Lewis Quotes soni 0 6 08-22-2017, 08:20 AM
  The ruling class is smarter than you, and they're more creative. And if you forget that lesson, you go down the drain. Because if they weren't, they wouldn't be around as long as they have been and as strong as they have been. - Al Lewis Quotes soni 0 4 08-22-2017, 08:18 AM