At Rome there were nothing even vaguely resembling modern political parties - although given the stifling impact of these... - Adrian Goldsworthy Quotes
Quote:At Rome there were nothing even vaguely resembling modern political parties - although given the stifling impact of these, this may well have made it more rather than less democratic than many countries today - and each candidate for office competed as an individual. Only rarely did they advocate specific policies, although commenting on issues of current importance was more common. In the main voters looked more for a capable individual who once elected could do whatever the State required. - Adrian Goldsworthy Quotes

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Modern people are only willing to believe in their computers, while I believe in myself. - Alain Robert Quotes soni 0 19 09-14-2017, 12:45 PM
Last Post: soni
  When I was twelve, the passage from silent film to the talkies had an impact on me-I still watch silent films. I don't think that there is any... - Alain Resnais Quotes soni 0 9 09-14-2017, 12:34 PM
  I have a very modern way of thinking; the chef is there to lead the team and not just to sit behind the piano. - Alain Ducasse Quotes soni 0 12 09-13-2017, 09:35 PM
  Everywhere in the world there are tensions - economic, political, religious. So we need chocolate. - Alain Ducasse Quotes soni 0 12 09-13-2017, 09:34 PM
  The challenge of modern relationships: how to prove more interesting than the other's smartphone. - Alain de Botton Quotes soni 0 9 09-12-2017, 11:33 PM