White hate crimes, white hate speech. I still try to claim I wasn't brought up to hate. But hate isn't the half of it... - Adrienne Rich Quotes
Quote:White hate crimes, white hate speech. I still try to claim I wasn't brought up to hate. But hate isn't the half of it. I grew up in the vast encircling presumption of whiteness - that primary quality of being which knows itself, its passions, only against an otherness that has to be dehumanized. I grew up in white silence that was utterly obsessional. Race was the theme whatever the topic. - Adrienne Rich Quotes

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  It [Cambridge] wasn't a holy grail in the sense that I'd never been to Cambridge. But then, when I did go, the contrast between Leeds... - Alan Bennett Quotes soni 0 35 09-23-2017, 07:01 PM
Last Post: soni
  I can walk. It's just that I'm so rich I don't need to. - Alan Bennett Quotes soni 0 23 09-23-2017, 06:51 PM
  It's the one species I wouldn't mind seeing vanish from the face of the earth. I wish they were like the White Rhinosix of them left in the Serengeti National Park, and all males. - Alan Bennett Quotes soni 0 16 09-23-2017, 06:26 PM
  ... Once I start a book I finish it. That was the way one was brought up. Books, bread and butter, mashed potato - one finishes what's on one's plate. That's always been my philosophy. - Alan Bennett Quotes soni 0 22 09-22-2017, 10:31 AM
  Ultimately, physical resemblance isn't as important as whether this person can bring this character to life in a way that's compelling and makes me care about what happens to them. - Alan Ball Quotes soni 0 23 09-20-2017, 07:21 PM