It is a matter for considerable regret that Fermat, who cultivated the theory of numbers with so much success... - Adrien-Marie Legendre Quotes
Quote:It is a matter for considerable regret that Fermat, who cultivated the theory of numbers with so much success, did not leave us with the proofs of the theorems he discovered. In truth, Messrs Euler and Lagrange, who have not disdained this kind of research, have proved most of these theorems, and have even substituted extensive theories for the isolated propositions of Fermat. But there are several proofs which have resisted their efforts. - Adrien-Marie Legendre Quotes

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Teach success before teaching responsibility. Teach them to believe in themselves. Teach them to think, 'I'm not stupid'. No child wants to fail. Everyone wants to succeed. - Al Green Quotes soni 0 2 Yesterday, 06:50 AM
Last Post: soni
  I was recently on a tour of Latin America, and the only regret I have was that I didn't study Latin harder in school so I could converse with those people. - Al Gore Quotes soni 0 4 08-16-2017, 10:02 PM
  Well-established theories collapse under the weight of new facts and observations which cannot be explained, and then accumulate to the point where the once useful theory is clearly obsolete. - Al Gore Quotes soni 0 9 08-16-2017, 08:11 AM
  No matter how hard the loss, defeat might serve as well as victory to shake the soul and let the glory out. - Al Gore Quotes soni 0 4 08-15-2017, 10:34 PM
  Take it from me-elections matter. - Al Gore Quotes soni 0 5 08-15-2017, 10:11 PM