Apart from selfish reasons, such as fear of punishments, fear of blame, of dishonour, etc, there remains only two motives that can stop... - African Spir Quotes
Quote:Apart from selfish reasons, such as fear of punishments, fear of blame, of dishonour, etc, there remains only two motives that can stop (or prevent, "empâecher", Fr.) men from acting badly; the natural sense of commiseration (or "sympathy", - "commisération", Fr.) for one's fellow men - compassion, and the influence of education, by association of ideas ("par l'association d'idées", Fr.) - habit. - African Spir Quotes

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  To read is to withdraw.To make oneself unavailable. One would feel easier about it if the pursuit inself were less...selfish. - Alan Bennett Quotes soni 0 14 09-23-2017, 06:06 PM
Last Post: soni
  I was conveniently bisexual for a long time, and then I went, 'Come on, who am I kidding?' And I have to say, it was the single biggest step I took toward emotional well-being, to stop feeling like I had to hide who I am. - Alan Ball Quotes soni 0 16 09-21-2017, 11:41 PM
  We can no longer let the threat of an early frost send a chill of fear throughout a large portion of our workforce. Diversification is the only answer. - Alan Autry Quotes soni 0 14 09-19-2017, 10:12 PM
  I'm in the real world, some people try to steal from me, and I stop them, frequently, take them to court. I love a good lawsuit. It's fun. - Alan Alda Quotes soni 0 12 09-17-2017, 11:12 PM
  It's a great feeling to know that 100 cops want to stop you doing something and they can't. - Alain Robert Quotes soni 0 15 09-14-2017, 12:42 PM