To be effective, morality has to be reasoned (or worked out). To want ("vouloir", Fr.) to repress evil only by coercion... - African Spir Quotes
Quote:To be effective, morality has to be reasoned (or worked out). To want ("vouloir", Fr.) to repress evil only by coercion, and to obtain morality by a sort of training with the help of constraint, without motivating it from within, is to make it an unnatural result, devoided of lastind value. - African Spir Quotes

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Really top-notch directors, I've often worked with them just to see how they work. - Alan Alda Quotes soni 0 16 09-18-2017, 09:26 PM
Last Post: soni
  Evil tongues never want a whet. - Alain-Rene Lesage Quotes soni 0 18 09-14-2017, 01:05 PM
  Pegging your contentment to the overall state of the world rather than of your own life: the basis of morality, or a sort of madness? - Alain de Botton Quotes soni 0 17 09-12-2017, 07:33 AM
  Let's say you went to Harvard or Oxford or Cambridge, and you said, 'I've come here because I'm in search of morality, guidance and consolation; I want to know how to live,' - they would show you the way to the insane asylum. - Alain de Botton Quotes soni 0 14 09-12-2017, 07:28 AM
  Forcing people to eat together is an effective way to promote tolerance. - Alain de Botton Quotes soni 0 12 09-08-2017, 08:38 PM