See that unfortunate soldier who is falling hurt to death ("tombe blessé à...", Fr.) on the battlefield... - African Spir Quotes
Quote:See that unfortunate soldier who is falling hurt to death ("tombe blessé à...", Fr.) on the battlefield; he learns that his folks have vanquished and dies happy. He detached himself from himself (s'est détacher de lui-même", Fr.), has identified himself with something greater and more lasting than himself; his homeland ("patrie", Fr.); thus, while dying as an individual, he has the certainty to survive in a larger existence. - African Spir Quotes

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Obviously death is a theme I'm fascinated by. - Alan Ball Quotes soni 0 16 09-20-2017, 07:23 PM
Last Post: soni
  Death is a companion for all of us, whether we acknowledge it or not, whether we're aware of it or not, and it's not necessarily a terrible thing. - Alan Ball Quotes soni 0 25 09-20-2017, 07:20 PM
  Is it possible to have an endless series of successes without falling on our faces? I suppose it is, but I think it would entail doing... - Alan Arkin Quotes soni 0 13 09-15-2017, 10:47 AM
  I enjoy every climb - maybe it's because it's a literal dance between life and death. - Alain Robert Quotes soni 0 13 09-14-2017, 12:43 PM
  In the works of Lucretius, we find two reasons why we shouldn't worry about death. If you have had a successful life, Lucretius tell us... - Alain de Botton Quotes soni 0 10 09-11-2017, 07:33 AM