A broadsheet obituarist once pointed out to me that veteran soldiers die by rank. First to go are the generals, admirals and air marshals, ... - A. A. Gill Quotes
Quote:A broadsheet obituarist once pointed out to me that veteran soldiers die by rank. First to go are the generals, admirals and air marshals, then the brigadiers, then a bit of a gap and the colonels and wing commanders and passed-over majors, then a steady trickle of captains and lieutenants. As they get older and rarer, so the soldiers are mythologised and grow ever more heroic, until finally drummer boys and under-age privates are venerated and laurelled with honours like ancient field marshals. There is something touching about that. - A. A. Gill Quotes

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The fact that we die, that makes life important. It's hard to take, but it's the truth. - Alan Ball Quotes soni 0 13 09-21-2017, 11:42 PM
Last Post: soni
  As a culture, we are not comfortable with mortality. We do not accept it the way other cultures do. We cling to youth, and we don't want to die. It's like, 'Well, too bad, we do.' - Alan Ball Quotes soni 0 12 09-21-2017, 11:38 PM
  We should all die with a sharp, brusque heart attack. My father was lucky like that. One day he went hunting... - Alain Resnais Quotes soni 0 15 09-14-2017, 12:36 PM
  I wanted freedom, open air and adventure. I found it on the sea. - Alain Gerbault Quotes soni 0 13 09-13-2017, 09:44 PM
  Literature deserves its prestige for one reason above all others - because it's a tool to help us live and die with a little bit more wisdom, goodness, and sanity. - Alain de Botton Quotes soni 0 9 09-08-2017, 08:19 PM