Is it a particularly British trait to so utterly adore truly appalling men, from Tony Hancock through to Steptoe and Alf Garnett, Captain Mainwaring, ... - A. A. Gill Quotes
Quote:Is it a particularly British trait to so utterly adore truly appalling men, from Tony Hancock through to Steptoe and Alf Garnett, Captain Mainwaring, Rigsby, Del Boy, Victor Meldrew and on to David Brent from The Office. The most deeply adored characters are all simply vile. - A. A. Gill Quotes

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  But most men regard their life as a poem that women threaten. They may not have two spondees to rub together but they still want to pen their saga untrammelled... - Alan Bennett Quotes soni 0 18 09-23-2017, 06:52 PM
Last Post: soni
  The nearest my parents came to alcohol was at Holy Communion and they utterly overestimated its effects. However bad the weather... - Alan Bennett Quotes soni 0 7 09-23-2017, 06:01 PM
  History is a commentary on the various and continuing incapabilities of men. What is history? History is women following behind with the bucket. - Alan Bennett Quotes soni 0 14 09-22-2017, 10:15 AM
  We live in a patriarchal culture. It's okay for women to be objectified but not for men. - Alan Ball Quotes soni 0 14 09-21-2017, 11:41 PM
  I felt pride, wonderful pride, when I was captain. It was an honour to take over from Labby. Anybody who has ever captained a big club, which Everton are, will tell you it's a great honour. - Alan Ball Quotes soni 0 12 09-20-2017, 07:04 PM