great artists can be uncertain. Of course they are while strugggling to find solutions. Tolstoi's scripts are almost indecipherable... - Agnes de Mille Quotes
Quote:great artists can be uncertain. Of course they are while strugggling to find solutions. Tolstoi's scripts are almost indecipherable. Emily Dickinson provided four or more alternates for every word; Beethoven wrestled with endings to the point of exhaustion; in our day Jerome Robbins and his lack of decision are a byword in the dance profession. But all of these knew very well what they did not want, and what they did not want was the current coin, the well-worn usage. What they wanted was something newly experienced, and therefore unknown and hard to attain. - Agnes de Mille Quotes

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  There is no such thing as a good script, onlya good film, and I'm conscious that my scripts often read better than they play. - Alan Bennett Quotes soni 0 22 09-23-2017, 06:58 PM
Last Post: soni
  Our father the novelist; my husband the poet. He belongs to the ages - just don't catch him at breakfast. Artists, celebrated for their humanity, they turn out to be scarcely human at all. - Alan Bennett Quotes soni 0 27 09-23-2017, 06:54 PM
  If you find yourself born in Barnsley and then set your sights on being Virginia Woolf it is not going to be roses all the way. - Alan Bennett Quotes soni 0 21 09-22-2017, 10:35 AM
  You always know when you're going to arrive. If you go by car, you don't. Apart from anything else, I prefer cycling. It puts you in a good mood, I find. - Alan Bennett Quotes soni 0 28 09-22-2017, 10:30 AM
  You don't put your life into your books, you find it there. - Alan Bennett Quotes soni 0 13 09-22-2017, 10:24 AM