What everyone underestimated was the acute unpopularity of the Taliban, even in the Pashtun areas... - Ahmed Rashid Quotes
Quote:What everyone underestimated was the acute unpopularity of the Taliban, even in the Pashtun areas. People like myself were saying the Taliban would be driven out very swiftly from the north of Afghanistan, but given that their main support base was in the Pashtun belt, there would be greater resistance there. That didn't happen. The Taliban had become deeply unpopular and were actually discarded by the Pashtun population almost as quickly as they were in the north. I don't see the Taliban coming back in any way. - Ahmed Rashid Quotes

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  You know, it's no accident that the great painters came from areas like Europe where there is a lot of clouds and rain... - Al Hirschfeld Quotes soni 0 6 Yesterday, 07:12 AM
Last Post: soni
  If we do not take this road of dialogue and understanding then I fear for the next generation... - Akbar S. Ahmed Quotes soni 0 6 08-02-2017, 04:56 PM
  The American mass media have achieved what American political might could not: World domination. - Akbar S. Ahmed Quotes soni 0 7 08-02-2017, 04:56 PM
  I don't think the ongoing negotiations with the Taliban will yield a positive result - Aitzaz Ahsan Quotes soni 0 6 07-30-2017, 07:00 PM
  Complacency is a deadly foe of all spiritual growth. Acute desire must be present or there will be no manifestation of Christ to His people... - Aiden Wilson Tozer Quotes soni 0 8 07-23-2017, 02:18 PM