A total reverse of fortune, coming unawares upon a man who 'stood in high degree,' happy and apparently secure,... - A. C. Bradley Quotes
Quote:A total reverse of fortune, coming unawares upon a man who 'stood in high degree,' happy and apparently secure,-such was the tragic fact to the mediaeval mind. It appealed strongly to common human sympathy and pity; it startled also another feeling, that of fear. It frightened men and awed them. It made them feel that man is blind and helpless, the plaything of an inscrutable power, called by the name of Fortune or some other name,-a power which appears to smile on him for a little, and then on a sudden strikes him down in his pride. - A. C. Bradley Quotes

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  I'm not "happy" but I'm not unhappy about it. - Alan Bennett Quotes soni 0 18 09-22-2017, 10:32 AM
Last Post: soni
  That's a bit like asking a man crawling across the Sahara whether he would prefer Perrier or Malvern water. - Alan Bennett Quotes soni 0 15 09-22-2017, 10:26 AM
  Racism is ridiculous no matter where it's coming from. - Alan Ball Quotes soni 0 14 09-21-2017, 11:40 PM
  I'm 53. I don't care about high school students. I find them irritating and uninformed. - Alan Ball Quotes soni 0 16 09-21-2017, 11:39 PM
  The idea of celibate vampires is ridiculous. To me, vampires are sex. I don't get a vampire story about abstinence. I don't care about high school students. I find them irritating and uninformed. - Alan Ball Quotes soni 0 14 09-21-2017, 11:38 PM