Such exceptional suffering and calamity, then, affecting the hero, and-we must now add-generally extending far and wide beyond him, ... - A. C. Bradley Quotes
Quote:Such exceptional suffering and calamity, then, affecting the hero, and-we must now add-generally extending far and wide beyond him, so as to make the whole scene a scene of woe, are an essential ingredient in tragedy and a chief source of the tragic emotions, and especially of pity. But the proportions of this ingredient, and the direction taken by tragic pity, will naturally vary greatly. - A. C. Bradley Quotes

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Life is generally something that happens elsewhere. - Alan Bennett Quotes soni 0 16 09-23-2017, 06:12 PM
Last Post: soni
  But then books, as I'm sure you know, seldom prompt a course of action. Books generally just confirm you in what you have, perhaps unwittingly, decided to do already... - Alan Bennett Quotes soni 0 15 09-23-2017, 06:03 PM
  A girl becomes a wife with her eyes wide open. She knows that those sweetest words, 'I take thee to be my wedded husband,' really mean... - Alan Beck Quotes soni 0 16 09-21-2017, 11:47 PM
  Life is suffering. We have desires and expectations and egos, and we compare the reality we have, which is miraculous and wondrous, with this reality we desire... - Alan Ball Quotes soni 0 10 09-20-2017, 07:17 PM
  When people are laughing, they're generally not killing one another. - Alan Alda Quotes soni 0 13 09-17-2017, 11:15 PM