Poems very seldom consist of poetry and nothing else; and pleasure can be derived also from their other ingredients... - A. E. Housman Quotes
Quote:Poems very seldom consist of poetry and nothing else; and pleasure can be derived also from their other ingredients. I am convinced that most readers, when they think they are admiring poetry, are deceived by inability to analyse their sensations, and that they are really admiring, not the poetry of the passage before them, but something else in it, which they like better than poetry. - A. E. Housman Quotes

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  But then books, as I'm sure you know, seldom prompt a course of action. Books generally just confirm you in what you have, perhaps unwittingly, decided to do already... - Alan Bennett Quotes soni 0 16 09-23-2017, 06:03 PM
Last Post: soni
  One reads for pleasure...it is not a public duty. - Alan Bennett Quotes soni 0 23 09-22-2017, 10:30 AM
  There are two things that I get a lot of pleasure from in my life, and that is, doing what I know how to do well - that really makes me happy... - Alan Alda Quotes soni 0 16 09-18-2017, 09:33 PM
  The pleasure of talking is the inextinguishable passion of a woman, coeval with the act of breathing. - Alain-Rene Lesage Quotes soni 0 16 09-14-2017, 01:03 PM
  People don't understand that it was maybe my biggest pleasure to drive an F1 car when it's wet. - Alain Prost Quotes soni 0 20 09-13-2017, 09:54 PM