Poems very seldom consist of poetry and nothing else; and pleasure can be derived also from their other ingredients... - A. E. Housman Quotes
Quote:Poems very seldom consist of poetry and nothing else; and pleasure can be derived also from their other ingredients. I am convinced that most readers, when they think they are admiring poetry, are deceived by inability to analyse their sensations, and that they are really admiring, not the poetry of the passage before them, but something else in it, which they like better than poetry. - A. E. Housman Quotes

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  I take no pleasure in the fact that the scientific predictions I've relayed to popular audiences turn out to be true. - Al Gore Quotes soni 0 6 08-16-2017, 07:43 AM
Last Post: soni
  I did very extensive diligence on Al Jazeera English, the network from which Al Jazeera America is going to be derived... - Al Gore Quotes soni 0 6 08-15-2017, 10:51 PM
  In [The New Poetry] I had attacked the British poets' nervous preference for gentility above all else, and their avoidance of the uncomfortable, destructive truths both of the inner life and of the present time. - Al Alvarez Quotes soni 0 9 08-07-2017, 07:07 PM
  The misery which follows pleasure is the pleasure which follows misery. The pleasure and misery of mankind revolve like a wheel. - Akkineni Nagarjuna Quotes soni 0 17 08-06-2017, 08:55 PM
  There is pleasure when a sore is scratched, But to be without sores is more pleasurable still. Just so, there are pleasures in worldly desires, But to be without desires is more pleasurable still. - Akkineni Nagarjuna Quotes soni 0 11 08-06-2017, 08:49 PM