I think that to transfuse emotion - not to transmit thought but to set up in the reader's sense a vibration corresponding to what was felt by the writer - is the peculiar function of poetry. - A. E. Housman Quotes
Quote:I think that to transfuse emotion - not to transmit thought but to set up in the reader's sense a vibration corresponding to what was felt by the writer - is the peculiar function of poetry. - A. E. Housman Quotes

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  I think the writer's quite low down in the hierarchy really. But the fact that they took the piss out of Nicholas... - Alan Bennett Quotes soni 0 34 09-23-2017, 07:02 PM
Last Post: soni
  It [Cambridge] wasn't a holy grail in the sense that I'd never been to Cambridge. But then, when I did go, the contrast between Leeds... - Alan Bennett Quotes soni 0 32 09-23-2017, 07:01 PM
  ...she felt about reading what some writers felt about writing: that it was impossible not to do it and that at this late stage of her life she had been chosen to read as others were chosen to write. - Alan Bennett Quotes soni 0 24 09-23-2017, 06:59 PM
  Have you ever thought, headmaster, that your standards might perhaps be a little out of date? Of course they're out of date. Standards are always out of date. That is what makes them standards. - Alan Bennett Quotes soni 0 16 09-23-2017, 06:13 PM
  Authors, she soon decided, were probably best met within the pages of their novels, and were as much creatures of the reader's imagination as the characters in their books... - Alan Bennett Quotes soni 0 15 09-23-2017, 06:08 PM