Eagleton has spent his life inside two mental boxes, Catholicism and Marxism, of both of which he is a severe internal critic... - A.C. Grayling Quotes
Quote:Eagleton has spent his life inside two mental boxes, Catholicism and Marxism, of both of which he is a severe internal critic—that is, he frequently kicks and scratches at the inside of the boxes, but does not leave them. Neither are ideologies that loosen their grip easily, and people who need the security of adherence to a big dominating ideology, however much they kick and scratch but without daring to leave go, hold on to it every bit as tightly as it holds onto them. The result is of course strangulation, but alas not mutual strangulation: the ideology always wins. - A.C. Grayling Quotes

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  It certainly is gravy every day above ground right now, after kicking that heroin habit. I've been given a second chance in life, and I don't want to let a minute go by without enjoying it. - Al Jourgensen Quotes soni 0 1 42 minutes ago
Last Post: soni
  I've never seen the Osbournes, I've never seen Paris Hilton. I'd rather read than watch reality TV. I'd rather live life than watch somebody else living it. - Al Jourgensen Quotes soni 0 3 46 minutes ago
  Art is commenting on what's going on around you in your life. - Al Jourgensen Quotes soni 0 2 54 minutes ago
  There's no way to learn how to write a hit song. There's no formula for it. You just have to have it inside of you. - Al Jardine Quotes soni 0 2 1 hour ago
  I sat on the piano bench next to my mother in church. Something happened before I set foot on this planet. I was crawling around inside of her. She was a church pianist. My dad was a brilliant singer. I was hearing it. - Al Jarreau Quotes soni 0 6 10 hours ago