04-05-2017, 12:55 PM
Exploring An Abandoned Neuweiler Brewery
Neuweiler Brewery was built in 1911. The brewery, featuring its own generators for electric power, first started its operation in 1913. The brewery closed in 1968.
By 1932, the brewery and warehouse buildings were joined as one structure, and the former machine warehouse became an independent electric plant with an ammonia tank and ice machine. The complex consists of an office building, brew house, stock house, chemistry lab building, bottling house, fermenting cellar, and more.
Neuweiler produced several brands of beer:
Light Lager, Cream Ale, Stock Ale, Premium Ale, Bock, Half & Half, Porter, Stout and Hochberg. Neuweiler beers were available in the 12 oz. "Steinies" bottles, quarts, cans or kegs. When in full operation, Neuweiler was one of the largest employers in the city. In 1950 the bottling plant and stock warehouse were expanded, but the brewery operations ceased in 1968 due to growing national competition. The building was abandoned for over two decades until it was leased from 1992 to 1998. The new owner operated a pesticide, herbicide and detergent re-manufacturing business. The site was abandoned in 1998 and has been vacant since. A New York Firm, Ruckus Marketing, purchased the brewery for $1.7 million in March 2014. The firm currently has plans to redevelop the entire property, converting the majority into a new brewing facility. The remainder of the space will be converted to mixed use commercial office space. The new plans call for a $30 million renovation.