Indeed, the sort of crimes and even the amount of delinquency that fill the prophets of Israel with dismay do not go beyond... - Abraham Joshua Heschel Quotes
Quote:Indeed, the sort of crimes and even the amount of delinquency that fill the prophets of Israel with dismay do not go beyond that which we regard as normal, as typical ingredients of social dynamics. To us a single act of injustice--cheating in business, exploitation of the poor--is slight; to the prophets, a disaster. To us injustice is injurious to the welfare of the people; to the prophets it is a deathblow to existence: to us, an episode; to them, a catastrophe, a threat to the world. - Abraham Joshua Heschel Quotes

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  And as I stumbled onto Eastern philosophy and Buddhism, it was the first time I had ever read any sort of philosophy that really made a tremendous amount of sense... - Alan Ball Quotes soni 0 20 09-20-2017, 07:22 PM
Last Post: soni
  I think it's very difficult, and it requires a tremendous amount of spiritual integrity and discipline, to not be a narcissist in a culture that encourages it every step of the way. - Alan Ball Quotes soni 0 16 09-20-2017, 07:15 PM
  Awards can give you a tremendous amount of encouragement to keep getting better, no matter how young or old you are. - Alan Alda Quotes soni 0 22 09-16-2017, 07:50 AM
  No man or woman of the humblest sort can really be strong, gentle and good, without the world being better for it, without somebody being helped and comforted by the very existence of that goodness. - Alan Alda Quotes soni 0 14 09-16-2017, 07:36 AM
  On n'e chappe pas a' son sort. One cannot escape destiny. - Alain Robbe-Grillet Quotes soni 0 16 09-14-2017, 12:40 PM