The anchor of meaning resides in an abyss, deeper than the reach of despair. Yet the abyss is not not infinite... - Abraham Joshua Heschel Quotes
Quote:The anchor of meaning resides in an abyss, deeper than the reach of despair. Yet the abyss is not not infinite; its bottom may suddenly be discovered within the confines of a human heart or under the debris of might doubts. This may be the vocation of man: to say "Amen" to being and to the Author of being; to live in defiance of absurdity, notwithstanding futility and defeat; to attain faith in God even in spite of God. - Abraham Joshua Heschel Quotes

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  I always choose to look, as much as one can, at the supernatural not being something that exists outside of nature, but a deeper, fundamental heart of nature that perhaps humans have lost touch with... - Alan Ball Quotes soni 0 14 09-21-2017, 11:37 PM
Last Post: soni
  life is meaningless unless you bring meaning to it; ... it is up to us to create our own existence. Unless you do something, unless you make something it's as though you aren't there. - Alan Alda Quotes soni 0 17 09-18-2017, 09:30 PM
  After a while I started to think of that as an image of something that went a lot deeper than the dead dog, which is you can't bring back anything to life. - Alan Alda Quotes soni 0 10 09-18-2017, 09:26 PM
  I've been lucky enough to live through all the things that are supposed to give meaning to our lives, like parenting, grandparenting, art, celebrity... - Alan Alda Quotes soni 0 15 09-16-2017, 07:40 AM
  We feel something, and reach out for the nearest phrase or hum with which to communicate, but which fails to do justice to what has induced us to do so... - Alain de Botton Quotes soni 0 13 09-11-2017, 07:28 AM