A majority held in restraint by constitutional checks and limitations, and always changing easily with deliberate changes of popular opinions... - Abraham Lincoln Quotes
Quote:A majority held in restraint by constitutional checks and limitations, and always changing easily with deliberate changes of popular opinions and sentiments, is the only true sovereign of a free people. Whoever rejects it does of necessity fly to anarchy or to despotism. Unanimity is impossible. The rule of a minority, as a permanent arrangement, is wholly inadmissible; so that, rejecting the majority principle, anarchy or despotism in some form is all that is left. - Abraham Lincoln Quotes

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  I've learned the importance of changing people's minds at the grassroots level so that whoever does run will have a much better chance... - Al Gore Quotes soni 0 5 7 hours ago
Last Post: soni
  I take no pleasure in the fact that the scientific predictions I've relayed to popular audiences turn out to be true. - Al Gore Quotes soni 0 6 08-16-2017, 07:43 AM
  There is an air of unreality in debating these arcane points when the world is changing in such dramatic ways right in front of our eyes because of global warming. - Al Gore Quotes soni 0 6 08-15-2017, 10:33 PM
  Our democracy, our constitutional framework is really a kind of software for harnessing the creativity and political imagination for all of our people. The American democratic system was an early political version of Napster. - Al Gore Quotes soni 0 3 08-15-2017, 10:29 PM
  Humanity is sitting on a time bomb. If the vast majority of the world's scientists are right, we have just ten years to avert a major catastrophe... - Al Gore Quotes soni 0 4 08-15-2017, 10:24 PM