One eighth of the whole population were colored slaves, not distributed generally over the Union, but localized in the Southern part of it... - Abraham Lincoln Quotes
Quote:One eighth of the whole population were colored slaves, not distributed generally over the Union, but localized in the Southern part of it. These slaves constituted a peculiar and powerful interest. All knew that this interest was, somehow, the cause of the war. - Abraham Lincoln Quotes

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Life is generally something that happens elsewhere. - Alan Bennett Quotes soni 0 16 09-23-2017, 06:12 PM
Last Post: soni
  There are more microbes per person than the entire population of the world. Imagine that. Per person. This means that if the time scale is diminished in ... - Alan Bennett Quotes soni 0 16 09-23-2017, 06:05 PM
  But then books, as I'm sure you know, seldom prompt a course of action. Books generally just confirm you in what you have, perhaps unwittingly, decided to do already... - Alan Bennett Quotes soni 0 16 09-23-2017, 06:03 PM
  I'm a huge freak, and always have been. I spent the first part of my life trying really desperately not to be one, and it was just a waste of time. - Alan Ball Quotes soni 0 17 09-20-2017, 07:24 PM
  I've been nominated twice before as actor in a leading part. Now I'm nominated as actor in a supporting part... - Alan Alda Quotes soni 0 15 09-18-2017, 09:28 PM