By the 'mud-sill' theory it is assumed that labor and education are incompatible; and any practical combination of them impossible... - Abraham Lincoln Quotes
Quote:By the 'mud-sill' theory it is assumed that labor and education are incompatible; and any practical combination of them impossible. According to that theory, a blind horse upon a tread-mill, is a perfect illustration of what a laborer should be -- all the better for being blind, that he could not tread out of place, or kick understandingly. According to that theory, the education of laborers, is not only useless, but pernicious, and dangerous. In fact, it is, in some sort, deemed a misfortune that laborers should have heads at all. - Abraham Lincoln Quotes

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  There's lots about politics I don't feel comfortable with. To talk about the politics of future ideas is impossible in soundbite form. - Al Gore Quotes soni 0 9 08-18-2017, 07:23 AM
Last Post: soni
  Well-established theories collapse under the weight of new facts and observations which cannot be explained, and then accumulate to the point where the once useful theory is clearly obsolete. - Al Gore Quotes soni 0 10 08-16-2017, 08:11 AM
  Iraq's search for weapons of mass destruction has proven impossible to deter and we should assume that it will continue for as long as Saddam is in power. - Al Gore Quotes soni 0 8 08-15-2017, 10:44 PM
  I pledge to you today that as president, in my first budget, I will introduce the largest increase in special education ever. - Al Gore Quotes soni 0 9 08-14-2017, 10:26 PM
  It's hard to have that debate around secret programs authorized by secret legal opinions issued by a secret court. Actually, it's impossible to have that debate. - Al Franken Quotes soni 0 9 08-12-2017, 06:37 AM