Many persons who are not conversant with mathematical studies imagine that because the business of [Babbage’s Analytical Engine] is to... - Ada Lovelace Quotes
Quote:Many persons who are not conversant with mathematical studies imagine that because the business of [Babbage’s Analytical Engine] is to give its results in numerical notation, the nature of its processes must consequently be arithmetical and numerical, rather than algebraical and analytical. This is an error. The engine can arrange and combine its numerical quantities exactly as if they were letters or any other general symbols; and in fact it might bring out its results in algebraical notation, were provisions made accordingly. - Ada Lovelace Quotes

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  There are more microbes per person than the entire population of the world. Imagine that. Per person. This means that if the time scale is diminished in ... - Alan Bennett Quotes soni 0 15 09-23-2017, 06:05 PM
Last Post: soni
  In fact, even the perception of a resurgence in crime can be enough to paralyze business momentum and destroy the sense of security that a vibrant and progressive city requires. - Alan Autry Quotes soni 0 13 09-19-2017, 10:15 PM
  I find myself going to places where I really have no business, speaking to these people in a whole other field that I have no extensive knowledge of. But I do it very often because it scares me. - Alan Alda Quotes soni 0 17 09-18-2017, 09:27 PM
  You wouldn't want to be called a sell-out by selling a product. Selling out was frowned on, whereas now you can major in it at business school. - Alan Alda Quotes soni 0 12 09-18-2017, 09:26 PM
  I'm an angry person, angrier than most people would imagine, I get flashes of anger. What works for me is working out when it's useful to use that anger. - Alan Alda Quotes soni 0 10 09-16-2017, 07:31 AM