The relentless note of incipient hysteria, the invitation to panic, the ungrounded scenarios... - Adam Gopnik Quotes
Quote:The relentless note of incipient hysteria, the invitation to panic, the ungrounded scenarios - the overwhelming and underlying desire for something truly terrible to happen so that you could have something really hot to talk about - was still startling. We call disasters unimaginable, but all we do is imagine such things. That, you could conclude mordantly, is the real soundtrack of our time: the amplification of the self-evident toward the creation of paralyzing, preëmptive paranoia. - Adam Gopnik Quotes

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  We now face the prospect of a kind of global civil war between those who refuse to consider the consequences of civilization's relentless... - Al Gore Quotes soni 0 8 08-16-2017, 10:32 PM
Last Post: soni
  Certain temperaments respond to anxiety by pulling inward. Their instincts tell them ' Don't go out to meet the world - you'll have a panic attack. Inside is where safety is. - Aimee Liu Quotes soni 0 11 07-26-2017, 04:01 PM
  My mother became much older when I came out (ed's note: of detention). She had problems with her hearing and high blood pressure. But they still support me. - Ai Weiwei Quotes soni 0 29 07-03-2017, 06:04 PM
  I see the Beijing National Stadium as an architectural project. I accepted Herzog and De Meuron's invitation to collaborate on the design... - Ai Weiwei Quotes soni 0 19 07-03-2017, 05:25 PM
  People with theories of life are, perhaps, the most relentless of their kind, for no time or place is sacred from their devastating elucidations. - Agnes Repplier Quotes soni 0 26 06-22-2017, 10:52 PM