Jorge Luis Borges was lamenting a variety of Orientalism that was used to measure the alleged authenticity of Argentine... - Adam Morris Quotes
Quote:Jorge Luis Borges was lamenting a variety of Orientalism that was used to measure the alleged authenticity of Argentine and Latin American writers in the midcentury. The Argentine literary tradition was believed by many, including many Argentines, to be concerned with a national imaginary in which the gauchos and the pampas and the tango were fundamental tropes. Borges, in part to legitimize his own Europhilia, correctly pointed out that expecting writers to engage with these romantic nationalist tropes was arbitrary and limiting, a genre that was demonstrative of its own artificiality. - Adam Morris Quotes

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  You measure a player from the head up. - Al McGuire Quotes soni 0 5 Yesterday, 06:39 PM
Last Post: soni
  I didn't have a mother; I had a mama. I measure other women by the stature of my mama. - Al Green Quotes soni 0 4 08-19-2017, 06:51 AM
  Although I have a variety of obligations, the climate crisis is my central concern. - Al Gore Quotes soni 0 9 08-18-2017, 07:24 AM
  Net neutrality isn't a government takeover of the Internet, as many of my Republican colleagues have alleged. - Al Franken Quotes soni 0 9 08-11-2017, 07:09 AM
  God expects us to measure the church not against tradition but against the standards & promises of His Word. - Aiden Wilson Tozer Quotes soni 0 13 07-17-2017, 10:03 PM