I have a few minor rules for myself but I break them all the time. For example, when translating from Romance languages to English... - Adam Morris Quotes
Quote:I have a few minor rules for myself but I break them all the time. For example, when translating from Romance languages to English, there is often a choice between a Latinate cognate and a Germanic equivalent. An easy example would be the Portuguese escuridão: English offers both obscurity and dark or darkness, and some translators will tell you the Latinate word is generally reserved for poetic and figurative expressions, while the Germanic word is used for colloquial and idiomatic use. - Adam Morris Quotes

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  You can always make time to do the thing you want to do, if you want it enough. - Al Koran Quotes soni 0 6 7 hours ago
Last Post: soni
  Every time you think a thought it 'registers', and comes back to you according to the vibrations and wave lengths sent out from your mind. - Al Koran Quotes soni 0 7 7 hours ago
  This time you've dug yourself an anchor too heavy to move ahead with. - Al Kaline Quotes soni 0 2 7 hours ago
  Switching to the outfield was the best break I ever got. - Al Kaline Quotes soni 0 2 7 hours ago
  The most relaxing thing i do, hang halfway out a 3rd floor window, and look at rocks if i fall out. Well maybe i'll fall hard, something tough to break me, something sharp to rip into my insides and bleed out all that pain. - Al Kaline Quotes soni 0 1 7 hours ago